Individual Abilities in Motion is committed to supporting people living with spinal cord injuries / disorders (SCI/D) in realizing their fullest potential and living the richest lives possible. While we believe that there are many paths to achieving this goal, an individual’s ability to maintain or pursue a healthy lifestyle is an important component. Therefore, as a part of our organizations R.E.A.C.H program we would like to introduce I AM’s Wellness Grant.
The goal of this grant is to promote health and wellness! It is our desire to help make this easier to pursue by reducing the associated costs that might otherwise need to be directed to the numerous financial considerations associated with SCI/D. Through I AM’s past fundraising efforts, in addition to the generosity of our supporters, this opportunity is available to anyone living with a spinal cord injury/disorder that is currently, or becomes, a member of Individual Abilities in Motion under the organizations guidelines. The details and requirements of this program are outlined below.
Grant applications are now being accepted. We look forward to receiving yours, and working with you in pursuit of healthy living.
Grant Applicants Terms and Conditions:
The current grant period will begin in April, 2018 and stay open for the remainder of the year, or until the available funds for the grant are exhausted. Based on the utilization, feedback, and data collected the organization will make a determination on how successful the effort was in achieving its intended outcome and areas in which it can improve or be expanded in the future.
I AM has a set amount put aside to implement this program. Funding will be available as of April 1st, 2018 thru December 31, 2018, or until said funds are depleted. Applicants may apply at any time during that period. Once an application has been received a determination will be made and the applicant will be notified accordingly. Those approved will be eligible to receive no more than 75% of the activity cost in a given month with an overall $500 maximum benefit. Depending on when the application process is completed, the number of applicants, and the remaining funds, the applicant may only receive a portion of the funds. This will be outlined in the determination letter.
Funding will be distributed on a monthly basis. The first installment will be sent upon application approval. Subsequent payments will be contingent upon I AM receiving receipts and activity reports, when required, from the applicant as outlined in the requirements, no later than the 23rd of each month. The activity reports can be submitted either online or on paper in which case the forms can be provided if requested.
All funds will be mailed to the address provided on the application with the check made payable to the facility where the activity is to be conducted by the 1st of each subsequent month.
Eligible expenses include costs associated with activities that promote physical movement. These include memberships, user fees, equipment rental, lessons, and personal training, as well as expenses related to the pursuit of sports such as equipment rental, lessons, and costs related to events in which the applicant participates. Also covered are holistic practices such as counseling, meditation training, nutrition counseling, massage therapy, and acupuncture. Excluded expenses include the purchase of equipment, any kind of therapy or medical treatment, or medical treatment. If you are unsure if expenses are eligible there will be a space provided to make the request and include justification.
The requirements for an individual being approved to receive funds are as follows:
- Recipients must be a current member of I AM.
- Recipients must complete the Wellness Grant application process in full.
- Recipients must submit receipts for the approved activity by the 23rd of each month.
- Recipients bust complete a mid-point activity report, once they have either received one half of the allotted money, or reached the calendar date as outlined in their approval letter. This will be a simple form indicating date, duration, description of the activity/s completed, and a self-assessment of progress. No additional moneys will be available through the grant until this requirement is completed.
- Recipients must participate in a minimum of one I AM activity, meeting, or fundraising effort over the course of the grant period. This is intended to further bolster support for members, the organization, and the ability to offer future programs. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in ineligibility for the next grant cycle.
- Recipients must submit a post-benefit survey which will be sent along with the last installment of this program period. Understanding the program outcome, as well as having applicant’s feedback and suggestions, is necessary to develop a strong program moving forward. This requirement is necessary for eligibility in the next grant cycle.
No retroactive payments will be made for activities that were engaged in prior to the start of the program or approval of an applicant.
Costs for family members or assistants are not eligible at this time.